Housing Agreement

Student Life: Housing Affirmation

"*" indicates required fields

Read and initial each section carefully! These are the processes and policies that govern your time in the residence halls.

ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible for on-campus housing for the fall and spring semesters, students must be enrolled with full time status, twelve (12) semester hours at the beginning of each semester. Students who are enrolled for less than full time status may live on campus with approval from the Office of Residence Life and Housing. Traditional SAS students are housed and given preference in on campus housing. There are limited options for AGS/Graduate students in special circumstances.

SCOPE AND PERIOD OF AGREEMENT: All on campus housing is covered by this Housing Agreement. Montreat College offers a nine-month Agreement for campus housing. This Housing Agreement allows the student to live in on campus housing for the entire Fall-Spring Academic year (August – May). If entered into after the start of the fall semester, for the remainder of the fall and spring semesters. Students who cancel this Housing Agreement will be assessed termination charges (refer to Payments/Charges Section). The opening and closing of the residence halls will follow the schedule published by Student Life in the Student Handbook. The residence halls will be closed, meaning students will be required to leave their rooms: Thanksgiving break, between semesters (aka: Christmas Break), and Spring Break.


On Campus Residency is required for all full-time students under 21 years of age.

Students younger than 17 years of age (minor) will generally not be eligible for On Campus housing. Grad students enrolled in the college’s Adult and Graduate Studies (AGS) programs are eligible to live on campus and are subject to complying with the college’s SAS Student Handbook and related processes. Students over 26 years of age will generally not be eligible for on-campus housing unless given special permission.

This policy applies unless a student meets one of the following requirements to live Off Campus:

  • Lives locally with parent(s) (less than 40 mile radius from Montreat College main campus) at the parent(s) full-time legal residence.
  • Married; must show valid state issued marriage license
  • 21 years of age or older during the semester
  • Graduate student
  • Completion of 8 semesters (consisting of 12 or more credits each) of undergraduate study
  • Carry 11 credit hours of coursework or less (part-time status) for the entire time that they live off campus


Because we are a residential campus, with the belief that intentional community is a significant developmental part of the college experience, any new incoming or returning student who wants to live Off Campus must submit the Off Campus Request Form. Once submitted, the Office of Residence Life and Housing will notify the student in regard to that request.

A student would need to meet one of the criteria listed in the previous section in order to be considered for living Off Campus.


NEW STUDENTS: New students will be assigned to residence hall rooms only after they have deposited. The Office of Residence Life and Housing uses their Housing/Commuter Form (from the New Student Orientation Checklist) to assist in placement. Those placements are made in early June, July, and August based on completion of the form and emailed to students in the middle of those months.

RETURNING STUDENTS: Returning on campus students will make their academic year assignments through the March housing process which includes: the Online Spring Housing Card and the Virtual Room Draw Event. Any returning student who does not sign up in March, will need to email housing@montreat.edu and work with the Housing Coordinator to sign up for any available spaces.

ACCEPTANCE OF THIS AGREEMENT: Regardless of the submission of this Housing Agreement, the completion of either the Housing/Commuter Form for new students or the Online Spring Housing Card/Housing Process for returning students binds the student to this Housing Agreement and signifies that the student has received, read and agrees to abide by all conditions, terms and policies contained in the Housing Agreement.

RESIDENCE HALL ASSIGNMENT: Rooms are to be occupied only by the person(s) properly assigned to them by the Office of Residence Life and Housing. Room assignments are not transferable, and subletting is not permitted. Room changes are permitted only upon prior written authorization by the Office of Residence Life and Housing. If a student makes an unauthorized room change, the student will be assessed a minimum of $100 administrative charge. The Office of Residence Life and Housing may move residents because of consolidation, for disciplinary action, facility failure or for other reasons. In accordance with state and federal laws, no discrimination in Agreement or assignments is made on the basis of race, gender, religion, age, veteran status, color, disability, national origin or ancestry. This Housing Agreement applies to any and all rooms that the student is assigned to or moved to for the academic year.

CONSOLIDATION: In the first few weeks of any semester, students who are without a roommate (or lose his/her roommate) will participate in consolidation. If there are other students who are without roommates, all those students will be asked to consolidate, or they will be charged the private room rate for the semester. This creates a standard of equity for those students who are paying the private room fee, since every effort is made to ensure fairness and equity in the housing process. Any student without a roommate is automatically in the consolidation process and must pursue one of the following options: 1) consolidate with another student that is without a roommate or 2) ensure their private room status through paying the private room rate. The Office of Residence Life and Housing will provide a list of students needing roommates. Students must cooperate, communicate and make appropriate arrangements in a timely manner or they will be charged a private room fee.

MID-YEAR HOUSING CHANGES: Within each semester, before students are allowed to change rooms or roommates, every effort will be made to find a workable solution. The proper process is for students to contact their RA/RD for assistance. All room changes must be approved through the Office of Residence Life and Housing. If a student makes an unauthorized room change, the student will be charged a $100 administrative charge and possibly face disciplinary action. Mid-Year Housing Changes (for room and/or roommate) can be requested through the Online Fall Housing Card and the Mid-Year Housing Change Request Form. These are released and collected in October each year. The requests are all processed, and approvals/denials are sent out in November. Approved moves must be completed by the official end of the semester at 5pm on the Thursday of finals week in December.

PRIVATE ROOMS: Private Rooms are not typically an option available for new, incoming students. For continuing, returning students private rooms are an additional charge and are based on availability. Any returning student seeking to live in and pay for a private room, would need to complete the Private Room Request Form. Filling out the request form does not guarantee private room placement, it simply indicates a willingness and agreement to pay for the private room should the availability present itself. Please be aware, based on housing demand, there are very limited if any available options for private rooms, especially in the fall semester. The Housing Coordinator would email in regards to the request, availability and placement. Private Rooms are granted based on availability, date of request, student class credit classification and other administrative considerations.

RESIDENCE HALL FACILITIES AND POLICIES: The residence halls are reserved for the exclusive use of resident students, invited guests and authorized College personnel. Students are responsible for upholding all College and residence hall policies, and will be held responsible for the behavior of their guests. The living and study conditions at an educational institution are unique and must be adjusted from time to time for the mutual benefit of the College and students. Therefore, the Office of Residence Life and Housing may make changes in official administrative policies as deemed necessary in the interest of health, safety and discipline, or for educational purposes, and students shall abide by such changes in policies. Campus policies and regulations are published in the Student Handbook. Compliance with these policies and regulations is a condition of this Housing Agreement. Failure to adhere to the written instructions regarding Judicial actions or to comply with the reasonable directives of College officials acting in the performance of their duties may be deemed a violation of Residence Life policy.

RIGHT OF ENTRY: The College reserves the right to enter student rooms for the following reasons: emergency, repair, maintenance, health and safety inspections, and administrative necessity.

MAINTENANCE AND HOUSEKEEPING: Students are obligated to report any need for repairs to residence hall furnishings and equipment in a swift and timely manner. Each individual student reports the need for maintenance and repairs online through the Maintenance Request system. Students can additionally report these issues to their residence hall staff. Students are expected to maintain their own rooms in an orderly, safe and sanitary condition.


ROOM PAYMENTS/CHARGES: The room cost for each semester will be managed by the Student Financial Services Office. Rates are subject to change annually.

DAMAGE CHARGES: Charges for loss or damage to communications wiring, furnishings or equipment in a student room or suite will be assessed to the student(s) of that room or suite.

KEYS: Keys are the property of the College and must be returned when students move out of their rooms. Failure to return keys will result in charges to the students to cover the replacement of keys and changing of locks.

UNAUTHORIZED ROOM CHANGE CHARGE: If the student makes an unauthorized room change, either by moving into a room or accepting a roommate, without permission they will be charged a $100 administrative charge and possibly face disciplinary action.

CANCELATION CHARGE: A $200 Charge is applied to continuing students who cancel (or do not occupy their assigned residence hall room) after the date of placement/signing this agreement and prior to the date that residence halls close for the academic year. (Exceptions can be made for students who request and qualify under Student Life policy to live Off Campus, mid-year, so moving Off Campus for the spring semester only.)

PRIVATE ROOM CHARGE: If space and housing demand allows for a paid private room, then the student’s billing will show a regular room charge and an additional Private Room Fee. This adjusts the total costs to the current years Private Room Rate.

LIABILITY: The College shall assume no responsibility for the loss, damage or theft of personal property belonging to, or in the custody of, the student for any cause whatsoever, whether such losses occur in student rooms, public areas or elsewhere in the residence halls. Students are strongly encouraged to carry personal property and/or rental insurance.

UTILITIES: The room charges include all utilities. Failure of utility services will not render the College liable for inconvenience to students or damage to property, nor reduce room rental, nor relieve students of obligations under the Agreement. Utility services may be reduced or cut off during prolonged vacation periods in the interest of energy conservation or maintenance.

TERMINATION OF AGREEMENT BY THE COLLEGE: Upon reasonable notice and for good cause, the College reserves the right to terminate this Agreement. Should this Agreement be terminated, the student will be required to vacate the residence hall within 24 hours unless special permission, in writing, has been obtained from the Dean of Students, Assistant Dean of Students or a designee, and full termination charges will be assessed to the student. Student obligations stated in this Agreement are a condition of occupancy, and if a student does not fulfill these conditions, the College has the automatic right to re-enter and repossess the premises.

TERMINATION OF AGREEMENT BY THE STUDENT: The student may terminate this Agreement by giving written notification to the Office of Residence Life and Housing and will be assessed termination charges as outlined below (Section XVII.). If the student has occupied the assigned room, he/she must follow proper check-out procedures published in the Residence Life section of Montreat College Student Handbook. Occupancy is defined by issuance of a key to the student for a specified room and does not require actual physical presence by the student and his/her possessions. Failure to check out properly will result in a $50 improper check-out charge. Cancellations processed through other College offices are not valid. Students must contact the Office of Residence Life and Housing directly to terminate Housing Agreements.

SEVERABILITY CLAUSE: The provisions of this Agreement are severable, and in the event that any provision of this Agreement shall be determined to be invalid or unenforceable under controlling law, such invalidity or unenforceability shall not in any way affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions of this Agreement.

EXCEPTIONS TO ANY PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT: A student may request an exception to any provision of this Agreement and/or may appeal any fee charged by the Office of Residence Life and Housing. Once the appeal is received, it will be investigated and the student will be informed of the decision in writing. To request an exception, the student should contact the Office of Residence Life and Housing, Belk Campus Center 208.


I have read and understand the Housing Agreement. I agree to pay all fees associated with this agreement and the housing agreement. I understand that I will be assessed a $200 administrative fee if I cancel this agreement (see Costs/Charges of the Agreement).

Student Name*
Birth Date*
This agreement is binding for the initial room assignment listed above as well as any other rooms that the student moves/is moved to in this academic year. I agree and acknowledge that this document can be executed electronically and it is binding in every way as if signed by my hand.
Student Electronic Signature: Date*