Accreditation & Authorization

Montreat College is an accredited institution. For over 100 years we have offered a quality Christian education to our students.

Our Accreditation

Montreat College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges Southern Association of Colleges & Schools to award associate, bachelor, and master degrees.  You can contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097 or call (404) 679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Montreat College. If you want to speak with someone at Montreat College about our accreditation, please contact Gregory Kerr, Ph.D., at (828) 669-8012 ext. 3621 or The complaint process for SACS COC can be found at

Montreat College is approved to prepare students for elementary education teacher licensure by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NC-DPI).

The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), has granted accreditation to the Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) program in the School of Adult and Graduate Studies at Montreat College.

The Master of Science in Environmental Education program is accredited by the North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE). Outdoor Education programs are accredited by the Wilderness Education Association and the Commission on Outdoor Education and Leadership.

State Authorization

The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. The primary objectives of SARA are to make it easier for institutions in North Carolina to provide online and distance education options to students in other states and to provide basic protections for those students.

Student Complaint

If a student or parent has an unresolved complaint against any private college in the state of North Carolina, the following process can be used. To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s web page at: North Carolina residents may call (877) 566-7226. Outside of North Carolina, please call (919) 716-6000. En Español (919) 716-0058.

If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:

Consumer Protection Division
Attorney General’s Office
Mail Service Center 9001
Raleigh, NC 27699-9001

The SARA NC complaint process can be found at

View State complaint information by state and agency.

Professional Licensure

Eligibility for licensure and/or certification may involve more than successful degree completion. All Montreat College academic programs prepare students to sit for applicable licensure and/or certification in North Carolina. In order to comply with U.S. Department of Education regulations regarding distance education and professional licensure, Montreat College is required to make the following disclosure with respect to professional licensure and/or certification outside the state of North Carolina.

Professional licensure/certification requirements vary from state to state and are constantly being revised. Because of this changeable environment, Montreat College cannot unequivocally state whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure and/or certification outside of the State of North Carolina. However, we want to students to be able to make informed enrollment decisions. Therefore, we would be glad to work with prospective distance students prior to enrolling in order for them to assess whether a Montreat College program meets licensure and/or certification requirements in their state.