Montreat College recognizes the dignity and worth of all humanity as God’s creation, created in His own image, and therefore, the college seeks to maintain a community free from sexual harassment, sexual assault, and other forms of Title IX violations.
- Studies have shown that undergraduates are particularly vulnerable to sexual assault by acquaintances, especially during the first year of college.
- 75% of all campus rapes occur under the influence of alcohol.
- Approximately 80% of all sexual assaults are committed by an assailant known to the victim.
- Nationally, one in four women experience sexual assault during their college years.
- Sexual assault can happen to men as well as women.
Sexual Harassment Response and Prevention
Maintaining a Safe Community.
What are the types of violations addressed by the college?
View important definitions related to safe community. The College Sexual Harassment Policy covers sexual assault, rape, sexual coercion, sexual exploitation, dating violence, stalking, retaliation, and other types of harassment.
What if an incident has happened to me or someone I know?
- View information on reporting options, safety considerations, and tips for helping others out.
- View the discrimination complaint form to fill out and submit to any reporting official of the college.
- Faculty and staff, view guidelines to responding to a student who reports an incident to you.
How will the college handle reports of sexual violations?
- View the college’s Sexual Violation Response, including information for individuals accused of violation.
- View the grievance process if a student is the respondent.
- View the grievance process if the employee is the respondent.
What can I do to reduce my risk of sexual assault or other violation?
Where can I find more information and helpful resources on this topic?
View a list of links and resources.
Is this just a women’s issue? How are men impacted, and how can they help?
View information on how sexual violation is an important issue for men.
What can I do to help prevent incidents for others?
Learn about Bystander Behavior and intervention.
For more information, please contact the Title IX coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Non-Discrimination Statement: In accordance with federal and state statutes (including Title IX, which prohibits gender-based discrimination), Montreat College is committed to maintaining a community that is free from sexual harassment and all forms of sexual intimidation, exploitation, coercion, and violence. The Payroll and Benefits Manager is designated as the Title IX Coordinator, and is responsible for overseeing the college’s compliance with Title IX. Inquiries concerning the college’s policies, compliance with applicable laws, statutes, and complaints may be directed to the Payroll and Benefits Manager, Montreat College, P.O. Box 1267, Montreat, NC 28757, 828.669.8012 (ext. 3755).