COMPASS Outdoor Recreation Studies Program – New for 2024
Outdoor Recreation Studies Summer Immersion Program
The Outdoor Recreation Studies COMPASS Program has been curated for students interested in the outdoor industry and focuses on learning how their connection to nature can be turned into a career. Immersive interactions with industry leaders will offer a glimpse into the dynamic Outdoor Recreation field. Students will explore natural areas, experience adventure recreation, and understand the intricacies of protecting natural resources. This program aspires to kindle curiosity and enthusiasm for the outdoor industry and guide students toward further outdoor exploration.
COMPASS 2024 will be held June 23-28, 2024
What You’ll Experience
- Adventure Recreation
- Environmental Education and Interpretation
- Conservation Law Enforcement
- Outdoor Ministry
- Camping at Lake James
- Hiking areas of the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Experiencing faith-based summer camps
- Exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Climbing a high ropes course
- Learning about the outdoor industry
A Day in the Life
- 8:00-9:00am: Breakfast
- 9:00-10:15 am: Low ropes team-bonding activities.
- 10:15-10:30am: Break
- 10:30 am-12:00 pm: Introduction to Outdoor Recreation Studies concentrations.
- 12:00 pm-1:00 pm: Lunch
- 1:00-2:30 pm: Visit a local faith-based summer camp.
- 2:30-5:30 pm: Free time
- 5:30-6:30 pm: Dinner
- 6:30-10:00 pm: Evening Activity
- 11:00 pm: Lights out
Dr. Dottie Shuman, Dr. Ryan Zwart, and Outdoor Recreation Studies Students
Where You’ll Be
Montreat College is part of the Asheville area’s vibrant cultural life. Explore the countless outdoor activities that make Western NC an international destination for adventure seekers.
Where You'll Stay
COMPASS attendees will stay in newly-renovated Anderson Residence Hall. Rooms include two twin beds, two dressers, two desks, two chairs, two closets, one or two bookcases, and a private restroom.
Where You'll Eat
COMPASS attendees will dine in Howerton Dining Hall, which features multiple dining options to accommodate individuals with dietary preferences and allergies.
FAQs for Students and Parents
Register for COMPASS
COMPASS 2024 will be held June 23-28, 2024.