Montreat College Buildings
Montreat College’s main Montreat campus is home to countless breathtaking views and many historic buildings. Learn more about the campus buildings below.
Anderson Hall (1968)
Anderson Residence Hall houses 144 women. The five-story building features private baths, a spacious lobby and lounge, and an elevator.
Anderson House (1912)
Anderson House is the former residence of founding President Dr. and Mrs. R. C. Anderson, and currently serves as residence for 15 male students.
Belk Campus Center (1985)
W. H. Belk Campus Center houses the bookstore, a black box theatre, cybersecurity lab, classrooms, and offices for academic affairs, student services, IT, and elementary education and business departments.
Bell Library (1972)
The L. Nelson Bell Library, named in honor of Ruth Bell Graham’s father, is home to study rooms, classrooms, a computer lab, the Hamilton Gallery, and the Center for Learning, Calling, and Career.
Chapel of the Prodigal (1998)
The Chapel of the Prodigal features a mountain gothic style chapel that includes Ben Long’s “Return of the Prodigal” fresco, as well as The Ruth Bell Graham Prayer Room and administrative offices. Learn more
Davis Hall (1964)
Davis Residence Hall houses 102 men. It has a private lounge and reception area and baths on each floor. Davis Hall is also the home to an indoor climbing wall facility.
Gaither Hall (1935)
Gaither Hall houses Graham Chapel, Gaither Fellowship Hall, classrooms, and offices for the president, advancement, alumni, communications, admissions, the business office, and the music department.
Howerton Dining Hall (1950)
Howerton Dining Hall provides food service for students, faculty, staff, and guests. A small, private dining room is also available for group meetings.
Howerton Residence Hall (1950)
Adjacent to Howerton Dining Hall, Howerton Residence Hall houses 112 men and has private or adjoining baths for all rooms. Its spacious lounge features a large stone fireplace.
McAlister Gymnasium (1954)
The McAlister building houses McAlister Gymnasium, McAlister Fitness Center, classrooms, and administrative offices for the athletic and outdoor education departments.
McGowan Center (1998)
The Chapel of the Prodigal’s lower floor, the McGowan Center for Christian Studies, houses classrooms and administrative offices for the Bible and history departments, as well as the chaplain’s office.
McGregor Hall (1942)
McGregor Residence Hall is a women’s residence hall featuring an extensive lobby dominated by a large stone fireplace.
McLeod Hall (1942)
McLeod Hall was originally built as an infirmary, and has been used for administrative offices.
Morgan Hall (1969)
Morgan Hall houses classrooms, laboratories, and the administrative offices for the biology, environmental science, and exercise science departments. It is also home to the college’s Exercise Science Lab.
Newell Athletic Field (1982)
Newell Athletic Field is home to Montreat College’s baseball team. Featuring a spectacular mountain view, the field also hosts physical education classes and intramural sports.
Mountain Retreat Association Buildings
Anderson Auditorium is home to a historic 1,800-seat amphitheater used by the college for special events and concerts, as well as Upper Anderson, a smaller event space.
Assembly Inn provides lodging for the conference center and other Montreat visitors. The college also uses its facilities for receptions and special events.
The Barn is a large, rustic wooden building used by the college for special events, such as the annual Homecoming Barbeque and Square Dance.
Cornwall Tennis Center
The Patricia Cornwall Tennis Center features scenic, creek-side courts which are home to Montreat College’s tennis team.
Moore Center is home to Montreat Conference Center’s Montreat Store and the 10,000 Villages store.