A Christ-centered institution.


About Us

Main Campus


Nestled in a cove below the 6,000-foot peaks of the Appalachian Mountains, our main campus is the perfect combination of secluded wilderness, fellowship, and culture. It’s also home to our traditional undergraduate students, who you might find perched on a stone wall with a good book or taking a dive in the lake.

 

Take a look.

Anderson House (1912), the former residence of founding President Dr. and Mrs. R. C. Anderson, serves as a comfortable setting for special occasions and receptions.

   

Gaither Hall (1935, later renovated) houses the President’s Office, Advancement Office, Alumni Office, Communications Office, Registrar’s Office, Business Office, Admissions Office, and Financial Aid Office. The Gaither Chapel, classrooms, a language and music laboratory, music faculty offices, and the Fellowship Hall are also located in Gaither Hall. This building was given to the college by Mrs. R.C. Anderson as a memorial to her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Hall Gaither.

   

The Huckleberry Café, located in the Moore Center on Lake Susan, serves locally roasted, fair trade coffee and a selection of grilled sandwiches and wraps. The open-air balcony provides a great spot for studying and group meetings.

   

L. Nelson Bell Library (1972, later renovated) is a centrally located facility containing more than 78,000 bound volumes. It provides access to numerous full-text journals, ample study rooms, and a computer lab available for student and community use. The Bell Library belongs to a consortium of college libraries, which greatly enhances study and research by making more than 500,000 volumes available from colleges throughout western North Carolina. The Hamilton Gallery (1997) is located on the mezzanine of the library and provides space for student art as well as traveling and local exhibitions. The Bell Library also houses the Health and Counseling Center on campus.

   

McGowan Center for Christian Studies (1998) is home to our Department of Biblical, Religious, and Interdisciplinary Studies, including faculty offices, classrooms, conference and seminar rooms, and the Chaplain’s Office. It’s housed in our 212-seat Chapel of the Prodigal, which features a fresco based on the return of the prodigal son by internationally known artist Ben Long.

   
Morgan Hall (1969, later renovated) provides ample classroom space for science and mathematics, well-equipped laboratories, faculty offices, a large lecture hall, and a seminar room. The communications department is also located in Morgan Hall.
   
W. H. Belk Campus Center (1985) is centrally located beside Gaither Hall. This beautiful building includes a large mall area with student mailboxes, the campus bookstore, a document center, and offices for academic affairs. It also holds student services, classrooms, the art and business faculty, and a computer lab.
   

The Chapel of the Prodigal embodies our college mission, housing both a chapel and educational facilities. The architect, Richard A. Henley of Charlotte, NC, nestled the building into the gently sloping terrain and used heavy timbers—over two hundred years old—for the roof trusses. The chapel is centered on the only known true fresco by a master artist on the theme of the parable of the Prodigal Son, Return of the Prodigal, by North Carolinian artist Ben Long. The Ruth Bell Graham Prayer Room features the beautiful calligraphy “Come Unto Me,” a verse chosen by Mrs. Graham. The McGowan Center for Christian Studies is also housed in this beautiful structure.

 


PO Box 1267
Montreat, NC 28757
828.669.8012
800.622.6968
Find detailed directions here.
Our main campus academic programs are designed for traditional undergraduate students. We offer two- and four-year degrees at this location. For detailed information and a complete listing of programs, please visit undergraduate academics.

 

Other facilities used by the college

Anderson Auditorium, the year-round assembly hall that seats more than 2,000 people, is available for college commencements, concerts, and convocations. It also houses four classrooms and a small auditorium for drama performances and concerts.

 
Assembly Inn, an attractive conference hotel that overlooks Lake Susan, accommodates 180 overnight guests. The spacious lobby, dining room, seminar conference rooms, and a convocation hall are available for college use. Parents and friends of students will find comfortable accommodations here.
 
The Barn serves as the Montreat center for square dances.
 
Tennis courts are used for college teams, classes, and personal play.
 
The Department of History, one of the two official archival agencies of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), encourages Montreat College students to use its facilities for historical research into topics of current interest to the Presbyterian and Reformed community. The collection includes 40,000 printed volumes, 20,000 periodical volumes, over 6,000 cubic feet of archives and manuscript material that relates to the history of the Southern Presbyterian Church. It also houses a strong biographical and bibliographical collection. Resources for study are also available in North Carolina, United States, European, and Asian history. The presence of the Department of History in Montreat provides students the rare opportunity to work with materials that are usually found only in centers of graduate education.

Live and dine together.

Let’s face it. Eating, sleeping, and socializing are a very big deal. Take a look at our favorite places.

Learn more »

Join us in fellowship.

Most important of all. Where will you gather with your fellow students for prayer and worship?

Join us »

Get out on the field.

Montreat students are active—and our sports center, athletic fields, and climbing wall are always busy. 

Take a look »