Registration (of Semester Courses)
This page provides information and resources to help students register courses for the upcoming semester and/or summer session.
Registration at Montreat is defined as “registering for courses for an upcoming term.” Registration is the second of two steps necessary to enroll for the next semester. The first step is academic advising. Registration is done by the student in our web-based portal, MAP (Montreat Access Portal).
Both advising and registration occur near the middle of the current semester for the next semester; October for spring semester courses and March for fall semester courses. The student meets with their advisor to review course selection then registers the courses in MAP.
- The student should register as early as possible when registration opens for their respective class (Freshman, Sophomore, etc.) to avoid possible closed courses that are full.
- Holds on the student’s account can prevent registration until cleared. Any holds will appear on the MAP Student Home Page along with the office that “owns” the hold. Contact that office for guidance on clearing the hold.
- While working to resolve a hold, the student can view courses and their grades in MAP.
- Some courses must be taken until passed with a minimum grade. Such courses are identified in the catalog.
- Some courses have prerequisite courses, e.g., English I must be taken before English II. MAP will block registration if a prerequisite course has not been successfully completed.
- An “R” on a course or printed schedule indicates that the course meets on Thursday, e.g., 9:00 a.m. T,R