Apply for Traditional Undergraduate Financial Aid

Basic steps to apply for financial aid:

You will be awarded a financial aid package only after the Student Financial Services Office has all of your paperwork. Your aid will not disburse until after you start your classes.

Additional Financial Aid Details

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Montreat College FAFSA school code: 002948
For dependent students, the student and at least one parent are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents. Then complete the FAFSA online and use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) to update your FAFSA with IRS tax return information. You must indicate that you have completed a Federal tax return to be eligible to use the IRS DRT.

North Carolina residents

To apply for the North Carolina Need-Based Scholarship, you must submit your FAFSA and complete the North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS). Eligibility is determined by the state of North Carolina. State funds may be limited, so application through both the FAFSA and the RDS is encouraged as early as possible.

Entrance counseling (new borrowers)

If you have not previously received a Direct Loan or Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL), the Federal Government requires you to complete entrance counseling to ensure that you understand the responsibilities and obligations you are assuming.

Complete this step by June 1 to ensure your loan is credited to your student bill. If you plan to take out any Federal student loans as a first-time Stafford borrower, you must complete loan counseling. You may complete the process at Federal Student Aid.

Promissory note(s) (MPN) (new borrowers)

Complete this step by June 1 to ensure your loan is credited to your student bill. If you are a first-time Stafford Loan borrower or a Parent PLUS Loan borrower, complete the promissory note for any loans that you have been offered and want to accept. This can be completed online at Federal Student Aid.

Satisfy all fees

Report outside scholarships

  • Any outside scholarships that you receive must be reported to the Student Financial Services office.
  • All outside scholarships will be considered as part of your financial aid package.
  • Montreat College reserves the right to reduce institutional scholarships or grants due to outside resources you are receiving.
  • If the outside scholarship agency requires a billing statement before funds can be released, contact the Student Financial Services Office to make arrangements.