Department: Residence Life/Student Life
Status: Full time, benefitted
Supervisor: Director of Residence Life
Location: Montreat, NC
The Area Coordinator functions as Residence Hall Director over multiple complexes and is a vital role in fulfilling Montreat College’s Christ-centered mission. This role serves students in a co-curricular capacity within the residential environment through planned and unplanned educational opportunities, crisis response, management of the complex facility, supervision of the Resident Assistant staff, responding to Student Handbook violations, and other administrative needs. This role plays a critical part in relational retention efforts and supporting holistic student success. This is a 10-month live-in position.
Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities
- Support Montreat College’s Christ-centered mission, vision, and educational objectives through effective and holistic co-curricular programming through the office of Residence Life
- Mentor and supervise student Resident Assistants (RAs), including bi-weekly one-on-one meetings, weekly staff meetings, performance evaluations, etc.
- Proactively engage in departmental and institutional persistence efforts to meet retention goals.
- Lead, challenge, and support, a team of student staff (Resident Assistants) through a developmental process of planning, publicizing, implementing, celebrating, and reflecting intentional community programs
- Responsible for the ongoing supervision, training, and evaluation of student staff relevant to designated areas of student life
- Participate in an “On-Call” Rotation with the other Residence Life Professional staff
- Respond to various emergency situations, acting as a resource and point person for providing care and support
- Play an active role in assisting and supporting all housing policies and guidelines, working in tandem with the Housing Coordinator
- Assist with the preparation and implementation of all RA training sessions (occurring each semester), acting as a helpful resource for the Residence Life Professional team as tasks and needs become apparent
- Participate in the RA selection process
- Facilitate all residence hall check-ins and check-outs, which would include management and inventory of the keys along with providing guidance on the room change process
- Provide adjudication and continual support for residence life related student conduct
- Maintain a consistent presence within the residence life and student life offices while also remaining available outside of office hours in case residential student needs may arise
- Partner with various departments across campus which may include, but are not limited to: Spiritual Formation, Student Engagement, Academic Affairs, Event Services, Conference Services, Dining Services, Facility and Maintenance Staff, Counseling Staff, Campus Safety, Health Services, etc.
- Serve on departmental and institutional committees as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Affirm and support the Montreat College Statement of Faith and Community Life Covenant.
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently
- Desire to create and maintain a culture of servant leadership and excellence
- Residence Life experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Organizational and managerial skills
- Commitment to demonstrating an active Christian faith through personal example and interaction
- Flexible; innovative, creative and energetic; detail-oriented
- Bachelor degree required
- Respond to emergency situations when “On-Call”, during office hours, or as needed
- Work varying hours both during weekdays, rotating weekends and occasionally some holidays on an as needed basis
- Climb up multiple flights of stairs
- Ability to lift and carry items 30 lbs or less between various buildings on campus
- Contain and operate a valid driver’s license in order to drive a motor vehicle
Application Requirements/How to Apply
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Candidates are requested to send the following materials:
- Completed Application
- Cover letter
- Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
- Faith Statement
- List of 3 references with contact information
Send materials by email to:
Joey Stewart, Director of Residence Life
A welcoming, service-oriented person who relationally connects well with people and capable of getting tasks done in a timely manner. Desire to create and maintain a culture of servant leader excellence. Must be a good communicator who is highly organized, detail oriented, and able to adapt. Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently and meet deadlines with good time management skills. A qualified candidate will be able to affirm and support the vision, mission, statement of faith, and community life covenant of Montreat College.
Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred
Full-time, exempt, 10 month position
About Montreat College
Montreat College is a Christian liberal arts college accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to offer masters, bachelors, and associates degrees. The main campus is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains fifteen miles east of Asheville, North Carolina, a region recognized as one of the most attractive living environments in the United States. Satellite campuses in Asheville, Charlotte, and other sites supplement the main campus. The College is committed to Christ-centered teaching and learning, and is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities.
Job Opening: Area Coordinator (RD) – Montreat College
The Area Coordinator functions as Residence Hall Director over multiple complexes, helping fulfill Montreat College’s Christ-centered mission.
Salary Currency: USD
Date Posted: 2023-02-16
Employment Type : FULL_TIME
Hiring Organization : Montreat College
Organization URL: https://www.montreat.edu
Organization Logo: https://www.montreat.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/montreat-1080.jpg
Location: PostalAddress, 310 Gaither Circle, Montreat, NC, 28757, United States
- Bachelor Degree