Basic steps to apply for financial aid:
- Apply to Montreat College.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at https://fafsa.gov/.
- Schedule courses with your academic advisor.
You will be awarded a financial aid package only after the Financial Aid Office has all of your paperwork and your course schedule. Your aid will not disburse until after you start your classes. Be prepared to pay for books for your second course out of pocket—you may be reimbursed once financial aid is applied to your account.
Additional Financial Aid Details
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
North Carolina residents
To apply for the North Carolina Need-Based Scholarship, submit your FAFSA as soon as possible. Eligibility is determined by the state of North Carolina. State funds may be limited, so application through the FAFSA is encouraged as early as possible.
Entrance counseling (new borrowers)
Complete this step to ensure your loan is credited to your student bill. If you plan to take out any Federal student loans as a first-time Stafford borrower, you must complete loan counseling. You may complete the process at www.studentloans.gov.
Promissory note(s) (MPN) (new borrowers)
Complete this step to ensure your loan is credited to your student bill. If you are a first-time Stafford Loan borrower or a Parent PLUS Loan borrower, complete the promissory note for any loans that you have been offered and want to accept. This can be completed online at www.studentloans.gov.
Satisfy all fees
- Before making a payment, check your balance on your Self-Service account.
- You can pay your balance online by credit card at https://forms.montreat.edu/payment/.
Report outside scholarships
- Any outside scholarships that you receive must be reported to the Student Financial Services office.
- All outside scholarships will be considered as part of your financial aid package.
- Montreat College reserves the right to reduce institutional scholarships or grants due to outside resources you are receiving.
If the outside scholarship agency requires a billing statement before funds can be released, contact the Student Financial Services Office to make arrangements.