Department: Honors Program and Student Life
Reports To: Honors Program Director and Assistant Dean of Students
Status: Full-time, Benefitted
Location: Montreat, NC
Montreat College is seeking an energetic and motivated individual who is committed to the Christian liberal arts and its call to love God and neighbor by serving as our Program Coordinator & Resident Director for the Montreat College Honors Program. In the last six years the Montreat College Honors Program has grown from 20+ to 100 students. This individual will take the lead on building out the programming for our honors community outside of the classroom curriculum, including the Living Learning Community for three honors houses. Therefore they must work well in collaborative settings with the Honors Director and other faculty. As the Honors Resident Director this individual will also work closely with Residence Life to respond to crises in their honors houses, to manage the use of the houses, to supervise their RAs, and to respond to student handbook violations. This is an 11-month position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Meet weekly with the Honors Program Director
- Develop the Living Learning Community for the Honors Program in consultation with the Honors Director. This would include a focus on community building, service, spiritual formation and the cultivation of intellectual virtues outside of class.
- Assist the Honors Director in the months of May and June with planning for the following year, including Welcome Week for incoming freshmen
- Assist the Honors Director in interviewing and hiring the Honors Student Assistant
- Help the Honors Director maintain the Honors Program budget and spending.
- Maintain strong collaborative relationships with Residence Life staff and the Assistant Dean of Students
- Proactively engage with the Assistant Dean in persistence and retention progress in the Honors Program, especially as it relates to their residence life experience.
- Mentor and supervise student RAs, including bi-weekly one-on-one meetings, weekly staff meetings, performance evaluations, etc.
- Be responsible for the ongoing supervision, training, and evaluation of student staff relevant to designated areas of student life
- Play an active role in assisting and supporting all housing policies and guidelines, working in tandem with the Housing Coordinator position, especially as it relates to housing honors students whether that’s in honors housing or general housing.
- Participate in an “On-Call” Rotation with the other Residence Life Professional staff
- Respond to various emergency situations, acting as a resource and point person for providing care and support
- Assist with the preparation and implementation of all RA training sessions (occurring in each semester), acting as a helpful resource for the Residence Life Professional team as tasks and needs become apparent
- Contribute to the RA selection process through various marketing tasks, assessing candidates, and participating in the completion of the hiring process with focus on RA’s for the honors program.
- Collaborate with other colleagues including faculty and other student life staff to fulfill the department’s mission within the college.
- Facilitate all residence hall check-ins and check-outs, which would include management and inventory of the keys along with providing guidance on the room change process
- Provide adjudication and continual support for residence life related student conduct
- Be present at weekly residence life staff meetings along with any student services meetings that may be held
- Be consistently present within the residence life and student life offices while also remaining available outside of office hours in case residential student needs may arise
- Partner with various departments across campus which may include, but are not limited to; Spiritual Formation, Student Engagement, Academic Affairs, Event Services, Conference Services, Dining Services, Facility and Maintenance Staff, Counseling Staff, Campus Safety, Health Services, etc.
- Engage in biweekly one-on-one meetings with Assistant Dean for professional and personal development
- Serve on departmental and institutional committees as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor(s)
- Affirm and support the Montreat College Statement of Faith and Community Life Covenant
- Ability to create goodwill with staff, faculty and students
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple initiatives happening simultaneously
- Management experience preferred
- Interpersonal skills to reach out to county organizations and develop relationships
- Commitment to the holistic care of students, including their spiritual formation
- Knowledge of honors education and a continuing commitment to professional development in this area
- Commitment to Christian liberal arts education
- Previous experience in residence life preferred
- Previous experience in honors education preferred
- Commitment to an active Christian faith through personal example
- Bachelor degree required; Masters degree preferred
- Respond to emergency situations when participating in “On-Call” or during office hours
- Work varying hours both during weekdays and weekends on an as needed basis
- Climb up multiple flights of stairs
- Ability to lift and carry items 30 lbs or less between various buildings on campus
- Contain and operate a valid driver’s license in order to drive a motor vehicle
Application Requirements/How to Apply
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Position to begin July 2023. Candidates are requested to send the following materials:
- 1) Completed Application
- 2) Cover letter composed with the candidate’s fit for the position clearly articulated
- 3) Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
- 4) Faith Statement
- 5) List of 3 references with contact information
Send materials by email to:
Joey Stewart, Director of Residence Life
Job Opening: Honors Coordinator/Residence Director
The individual will take the lead on developing programming for our honors community outside of the classroom curriculum and oversee the Honors housing.
Salary Currency: USD
Date Posted: 2023-03-01
Employment Type : FULL_TIME
Hiring Organization : Montreat College
Organization URL: https://www.montreat.edu
Organization Logo: https://www.montreat.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/montreat-1080.jpg
Location: PostalAddress, 310 Gaither Circle, Montreat, NC, 28757, United States
- Bachelor Degree