Department of Natural and Health Sciences
Location: Montreat, North Carolina
Start Date: August 2022
Montreat College’s enrollment has increased rapidly in recent years, and the college has identified the natural and health sciences as a pillar in the strategic plan for future growth of Montreat. The successful candidate for this faculty position will instruct introductory and upper-level courses (commensurate with applicant’s background) in the natural sciences supporting the health science, biology, and environmental science major programs at the college.
Duties and Responsibilities
The candidate will be responsible to:
- teach general education courses in the Natural Science department determined by background and departmental needs, including but not limited to courses in biology and the health sciences, and introductory natural science courses;
- courses may include general biology, plant diversity and ecology, natural resource management, environmental sustainability, plant physiology, wildlife biology, geographic information systems (GIS), biostatistics, research methods, and science seminars;
- advise students and supervise student research projects;
- participate in faculty committees as required;
- support the college’s recruitment and retention efforts by participating in and supporting recruitment and retention activities;
- other duties as described in the faculty handbook.
Successful candidate will affirm and support the Mission, Vision, and Statement of Faith of Montreat College.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate support for Christian liberal arts education and the specific ability to integrate faith and the discipline in a compelling, thoughtful manner. Teaching excellence and a willingness to serve the broader college community through service and committee work are also expected.
A PhD. in biology, environmental science, or a related discipline is required. Candidates who are ABD (all but dissertation) may be considered. One year or more collegiate-level teaching experience in undergraduate science lecture or laboratory preferred.
Vice President of Academic Affairs
Application Requirements/How to Apply
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Candidates are requested to send the following materials:
- Complete job application
- Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Transcripts of Undergraduate and Graduate Work
- Statement of Faith
- Statement of Philosophy of Christian Higher Education
- List of Three References with Contact Information
Send Materials by email to:
Dr. Mark Hijleh
Vice President of Academic Affairs
About Montreat College
Montreat College is a Christian liberal arts college accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to offer master’s, bachelor’s, and associates degrees. The main campus is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains fifteen miles east of Asheville, North Carolina, a region recognized as one of the most attractive living environments in the United States. Additional locations in Asheville, Charlotte, and Morganton supplement the main campus. The College is committed to Christ-centered teaching and learning and is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities.
Assistant Professor of Natural Science
Montreat College seeks a full-time faculty member to join a growing and dynamic team in the Department of Natural and Health Sciences.
Salary Currency: USD
Date Posted: 2022-05-27
Employment Type : FULL_TIME
Hiring Organization : Montreat College
Organization URL: https://www.montreat.edu
Organization Logo: https://www.montreat.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/montreat-1080.jpg
Location: PostalAddress, 310 Gaither Circle, Montreat, NC, 28757, United States
- Postgraduate Degree