Creative Writing Festival
Montreat College will host the 11th annual Creative Writing Festival on Friday, March 29, 2019.
- 8:30 a.m. | Registration (Bell Library Porch)
- 9:00-9:45 a.m. | Welcome and Opening Panel Discussion with Children’s Author Dinah Johnson and Poet Andy Coe (Chapel of the Prodigal)
- 10-10:50 a.m. | Keynote Speaker Nashville Singer/Songwriter Hannah Miller (Graham Chapel)
- 11-11:45 a.m. | Concurrent Workshops:
- Poetry with Andy Coe (Gaither Fellowship Hall)
- Children’s Literature with Dinah Johnson (Chapel of the Prodigal)
- 12-12:20 p.m. | Pre-registered Spoken Word/Poetry/Music Open Mic (Graham Chapel)
- 12:20-12:35 p.m. | Creative Writing Contest Awards (Graham Chapel)
- 12:40 p.m. | Picnic lunch and General Open Mic (Gaither Lawn)
Hannah Miller’s dark, ambient style has been heard on TV shows such as This Is Us (seasons one and two), Sons of Anarchy, The Following, and Pretty Little Liars, as well as in several indie films (Little Women, Trash Fire, June Adrift, The Staying Kind, Other Versions of You). She recently finished a couple of tours as support for the folk duo The Secret Sisters and released her third full-length record March 6, 2018, on boutique label Sorted Noise. She currently continues to write and release music regularly.
Dinah Johnson has written several books for young readers, including All Around Town, which Booklist called “eloquent” in a boxed review. She is a professor of English and children’s literature at the University of South Carolina.
Andy Coe’s poetry has been published in The Blotter, The Sweetbay Review, Poetry Journal, and Life Preserved: Memories: An Anthology. He holds degrees from Furman University and the University of Kentucky. He is currently coordinator of undergraduate research at Furman University.
Creative Writing Contest
- Genres: Poetry, Fiction, and Songwriting
- Length: Three pages
- One entry per writer
- Submit entries to email@example.com by March 21, 2019; use genre as the subject line
- Include name, grade, teacher, and school with entry
- Winners will be announced at the Montreat Creative Writing Festival and will be awarded a Montreat College scholarship
Contact Kimberly Angle at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828.669.8012 ext. 3511.