A Senior’s Farewell - Montreat College

By Shelby Treat

Dear Montreat College,

Thank you for the memories. It is hard to believe that four years have come and gone in just the blink of an eye. Everyone warned me that these would quite possibly be some of the fastest years of my life; boy where they right. It was just yesterday that I nervously arrived on campus and was eagerly greeted by President Maurer and his wife, Joellen, who were passing out water to all the new students. Move-in day is forever etched into my memory as the beginning of a new chapter, a chapter that has been full of growth, friendships, and more adventures than I could have ever anticipated.

The growth, both personally and academically, that I have experienced throughout my time at Montreat is something that I am forever grateful for. It has been a privilege to attend a school where there is such a high value placed on the integration of faith and learning. The classes, professors, and conversations with fellow classmates have pushed me to go deeper in my faith and pursue excellence in my academics. It is rare to find a higher education institution where the staff and faculty not only care about you as a student, but also as an individual. That is just one of the many things that makes Montreat College so special. It is with confidence that I step into a new season of life as a young professional, feeling equipped to navigate the working world thanks to the quality of education I received these past four years.

There is something special about the community that comes from the college years. The chance to meet people from all walks of life with many different beliefs is something that has left a profound impact on my life and the way I view the world. These four years have brought friends into my life who have seen me at my worst, cried with me, laughed with me, and championed me to pursue my dreams. Even though the season of living life on a daily basis with some of my closest friends is quickly coming to an end, I have no doubt that these friendships will last for many years to come.

The past four years have been filled with more adventures than I can even begin to wrap my head around. It has been filled with many hours of homework assignments, an unhealthy amount of coffee from the Huckleberry Café, and many days where I did not think I could possibly make it to graduation. No amount of words adequately describes the impact that this place has had on my life throughout the past four years. In just a few short days I will walk across the stage, receive my diploma, turn my tassel, and drive through the gate one last time as a Montreat student. As I prepare to embark on the next journey, I leave this beautiful mountain cove with a heart overflowing with thankfulness for the adventure it has been.

Love,
A Senior