By Emily Wells

Every school has its little quirks and special tendencies that make it unique. Montreat College is no different. Montreat may have its certain oddities, but that is what makes us love it all the more, and it is these little unique things that bring us together as a student body.

In that spirit, here are eight things every student can nod their head in agreement to:

1. Trying to get lunch between 11:50 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. is an ordeal.

If you’re in a hurry to grab lunch from Howerton Dining Hall, you’d better check your watch. Getting lunch during peak hours can take up a good chunk of time. If you go to the dining hall during this time of the day, there is a good chance that the line will be out the door and the line at the sandwich bar will be a mile long.

2. You didn’t know how truly flexible you were until you realized that your key card is buried in your bag when you get to the door.

I don’t know how many times I have carelessly dropped my key card into my gym bag without thinking about how I will need it as soon as I walk back up to the dorm. When I get to the door and realize my mistake, I suddenly take on the role of a contortionist as I twist my body to retrieve my keys from the abyss that is my bag. Tragic.

3. A broken elevator is your worst nightmare.

This one is for the 5th floor ladies in Anderson. You can literally hear your legs screaming in protest as you make that hike to the top of the building and it is going to take something of deep importance to make you come back down once you walk up. We all wish a long and happy life to our friend Otis the elevator.

4. Campus triples in size when you are on crutches.

Itty bitty Montreat suddenly becomes quite large when you are injured/on crutches. You also realize how hilly this campus is and question if all the stairs on campus are necessary. Soon, your armpits hurt as much as your injury and you have developed a new appreciation for elevators.

5. Cavs Cash is equal to gold at the end of the semester.

The last few weeks of the semester are a true test of loyalty between friends. Energy and motivation are long gone as is your Cavs Cash. Starbucks is the only thing that can get you through your finals and it is not uncommon to hear friends ask, “Oh, you still have money on your card. How much do you love me?” at the register. Remember, sharing is caring.

6. “Coming together” at the end of chapel is your favorite (and most awkward) part of your Wednesday.

Coming together in the middle of the aisle at the end of chapel is one of my favorite Montreat traditions. However, every once in a while, a person can end up in an awkward position where their arm is jammed between your neighbor’s at a most uncomfortable angle but you are too worried about disturbing them to move it. In that moment, the short benediction seems never-ending.

7. If you get back to campus after 9 p.m., you might as well accept the fact you are parking in the woods.

Parking spots on the Montreat campus can be elusive. Arriving back on campus after 9 p.m.? Get your flashlight ready and keep an eye out for bears, because it looks like you are going on a hike.

8. You will hike Lookout Mountain no less than 200 times while you’re here.

If you haven’t hiked Lookout yet, I highly recommend it. The view at the top is unparalleled. But, you will probably do it multiple times during your years here, so don’t think your first time will be your last. And for me at least, each time up gets more strenuous.