By Emily Wells

While scrolling through Twitter the other day I came across a tweet that said, “We say we want to see the world, yet we try to look at it through the screen of a cell phone.” Attached to the tweet were pictures of exotic fish and beaches that looked too good to not be photoshopped. I read this and thought to myself, “Wow, this is so true”—and then kept scrolling.

Ironically enough, recent chapel speaker Doreen Dodgen-Magee spoke on this same topic. And if hearing the idea once didn’t stick in my head, hearing it twice did.

My phone is with me 99% of the time. And stop judging me as you read this because I’m guessing the same is true for you, too. As Magee began her sermon, she challenged everyone in the room to turn their phones completely off. Not just silenced, totally off. The collective response from the room was “Oh, heck no!” For us students, this was obviously a huge challenge. She went on to make several points about why it is so important for us to take a “pause” from our technology.

I walked away from chapel with the realization that I spend an inordinate amount of time using technology every day for things that are essentially pointless. I’m bored? Check my phone. Feeling awkward? Check my phone. But what does any of it have to do with furthering the kingdom?

There is such an astounding world God created for us, but I now realize that I often care more about trying to take a picture of it instead of finding God in it. In my hurry to save the moment for later, I totally forget about living in the here and now. Fall is here and we are being surrounded by a canopy of warm hues. People are flocking to our area to see the colors change. Instead of trying to see how best I can capture it, shouldn’t I try and see how God is captured in it? My goal for this fall is to pause, as Ms. Dodgen-Magee said, and meditate on the surrounding creation. I invite you to join me.