You’re ready to apply for aid, loans, and grants. Here are the steps you need to take. Every program follows the same process except for May and Summer terms—which you’ll also find below. Don’t miss these important details and deadlines.
Basic steps to apply for financial aid
You will be awarded a financial aid package only after the Financial Aid Office has all of your paperwork and your course schedule. Your aid will not disburse until after you start your classes. Be prepared to pay for books for your second course out of pocket—you may be reimbursed once financial aid is applied to your account.
Learn more through our Financial Aid Presentation.
Critical details and deadlines
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
FAFSA priority date is March 1.
Montreat College FAFSA school code: 002948
Be sure to apply for your PIN at www.pin.ed.gov for both the student and the parent before preparing your FAFSA. Then complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov using your tax return and W-2 information.
North Carolina residents
To apply for the North Carolina Need-Based Scholarship, submit your FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1. Eligibility is determined by the state of North Carolina. State funds may be limited, so application through the FAFSA is encouraged as early as possible.
Entrance counseling (new borrowers)
Complete this step by June 1 to ensure your loan is credited to your student bill. If you plan to take out any Federal student loans as a first-time Stafford borrower, you must complete loan counseling. You may complete the process at www.studentloans.gov.
Promissory note(s) (MPN) (new borrowers)
Complete this step by June 1 to ensure your loan is credited to your student bill. If you are a first-time Stafford Loan borrower or a Parent PLUS Loan borrower, complete the promissory note for any loans that you have been offered and want to accept. This can be completed online at www.studentloans.gov.
Satisfy all fees
- Bills are mailed on July 15 and are due August 6.
- Before making a payment, check your balance on your Self-Service account.
- You can pay your balance online by credit card at www.montreat.edu/studentaccounts (intranet link). Click on Payments Online.
Report outside scholarships
- Any outside scholarships that you receive must be reported to the Financial Aid Planning office.
- All outside scholarships will be considered as part of your financial aid package.
- If the outside scholarship agency requires a billing statement before funds can be released, contact the Student Accounts Office to make arrangements.