Your big day is almost here. Get your caps ready. We’re excited to let you know what’s next.
Last Semester Preparations
Before registering for your last semester at Montreat College, be sure that you’ve checked with your advisor to be certain that you’ve signed up for all of your finishing class requirements. You’ll want to have:
- Completed all general education and major requirements
- 126 total hours (minimum)
- 33 hours at the 300 level or above
- 18 hours completed at Montreat in your major (if you transferred to Montreat)
- All competencies completed
- Documentation of any exceptions granted
You’ll need to apply for graduation before you can officially graduate! Stay in tune with these three deadlines:
- If you plan to graduate in May, apply before March 1st
- If you plan to graduate in August, apply before June 1st
- If you plan to graduate in December, apply before October 1st
Montreat College’s graduation ceremony is held at 2 p.m. in lower Anderson Auditorium in Montreat, NC. Commencement normally takes place on a Saturday, usually in December and May. All graduates participating in commencement ceremonies must wear a black cap, tassel, and a gown appropriate to the degree. Students should not wear jeans or tennis shoes to this ceremony For further assistance with graduation attire, contact the College Bookstore at 828.669.8012, ext 3602.
Once you have applied for graduation, the Records and Registration Office will begin working with you on your final graduation audit. Be sure to let them know of changes in your application. Below is all the information you need to prepare for the commencement ceremony, including cap and gown information, when to arrive to the ceremony, what to wear, and where to stay in the area.
- Complete your online Exit Survey (This will be sent directly to you through your Montreat e-mail).
- Make arrangements to purchase your cap and gown through Bob Walker, director of retail and
auxiliary revenue, at email@example.com or contact Herff Jones.
- If desired, complete your online graduation news release form.
- If you plan to attend, complete the online graduate luncheon RSVP form.
- Make sure that your $60 graduation fee is paid via your student account.
- Pay any outstanding balances or fines.
• SAS–Contact Jo Reynolds: 828-669-8012 ext. 3751
• AGS–Contact Nicole Callahan: 828-669-8012 ext. 1019
- Return all library books, departmental equipment, and keys.
- If you will have any remaining requirements after May 31, return the Petition to Walk in
- If you have taken out a loan, you must complete exit counseling. This is a federal regulation.
• For Federal Loans (Stafford or Direct), visit www.studentloans.gov.
• Under “Tools and Resources,” click “Exit Counseling.”
• You will need your FAFSA pin, SSN, driver’s license, and the contact information
for your references.
• If you have taken out a Perkins Loan, the Student Accounts Office will e-mail you specific
instructions on how to complete exit counseling.
• If you have multiple lenders and are interested in consolidating your loans, visit
Ceremony Day-Of Instructions
- Please dress appropriately.
- Black cap, tassel, and gown appropriate to your degree must be worn. No jeans or running shoes.
- Arrive on time, between 12:30 p.m. and 1:15 p.m., on Saturday, May 14, 2016 to check-in at
the front desk of Anderson Auditorium and receive your name card.
- Students receiving honors will be given cords at check-in.
- Bachelor degrees – gold cords
- Associate degrees – white and gold cords
- We will honor our veterans with red, white and blue cords.
- All graduates will meet in Upper Anderson for instructions and line-up at 1:15 p.m. (There is no rehearsal prior to commencement.)
- Ceremony starts promptly at 2 p.m. and will last approximately two hours.
- Anderson Auditorium will be open to guests at 12:30 p.m. No tickets are required. Please turn off all cell phones.
- The Auditorium fills up quickly, so please arrive early.
- The bookstore will be open on commencement day from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- The ceremony will take place in Anderson Auditorium, 302 Lookout Road, Montreat, NC 28757.
- A map to the campus can be found here.
- Please park in designated areas only.
- There will be designated handicapped parking.
- Montreat police will be on hand to offer assistance and directions.
- Directions to Montreat College
A professional photographer will photograph graduates with the president as they receive their diploma.
Photos are available for purchase from Mike Thornhill Photography.
To order photos, go to thornhillphoto.com/montreat. To contact Mike Thornhill directly, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health Care Enrollment Flyer for Students »
Area Accommodations »